Thursday, May 13, 2010

You call that dinner??

It seems the new fad is to open a restaurant and overcharge the customers for smaller than usual helpings which are as bland as eating paper.
Every couple of weeks later we hear that a new restaurant has opened up in Karachi and how the theme and atmosphere is "to die for!!”. Did everyone get to know that 'The Diner' opened up at Shahbaz Commercial DHA?? Has anyone been there?? Quite sophisticated...no?? But the helpings are pathetic and a total overkill on trying to provide the natural flavors!! I was still hungry after I walked out of the restaurant having ordered a pepper steak!!
Now if I was to order a pepper steak from Maxim's or even Arizona Grill, or Gun Smoke I would not mind paying the hefty price tag that comes with it because those steaks are delicious and filling. But if a waiter brings me a 2 bite steak and charges me Rs 500 for it, that’s just insane!
What’s wrong with people?? Is making a fashion statement and being part of the 'IN' crowd matter so much that we throw away money on tid bits?

Where have I experienced this, you might ask? Well, as I mentioned earlier The Diner but the others I had the misfortune of trying were Sawadika, Fuchsia, Butler's Chocolate Cafe and N'eco's Natural Store and Cafe. The last one really was the extreme....I ordered a beef steak sandwich for 350 and got two small bread pieces with table spoon size beef bites, some lettuce on them and a side bowl of some form of boiled pulses. And worst of all was that it was tasteless. I think they took the natural thing too far.
Basically, I feel that restaurants need to bring a balance in providing good food (taste, quality and justified helpings), theme and comfortable sitting and of course price. Some restaurants that I find to be exceptional in providing these characteristics are Chairman Mao (Best home delivery), Cafe Zouk, Kahva (Amazing food), Koel Cafe, Studio Cafe, Expresso, Cafe Flo, Chatkharay, BBQ Tonight, Lal Qila, Village, Arizona Grill, Copper Kettle, Gun Smoke and Baan Thai (Amazing food).

I must have missed out on a lot of places to eat, so how about you providing your quick reviews of places to go or not go.

1 comment:

  1. The Diner & Sawadika are owned by the same guy :-)

    I can't say I personally agree 100% about the Diner (I find their turkey sandwich very filling and worth the cost) but Fuchsia, Butler's Chocolate Cafe and N'eco's totally suck. Sadly they're message and intentions are pure seeing as I know the Manager.

    But again, poor execution. The in fad is to give small portion sizes to say Less is More.

    Well this isnt fashion, its fine dining - i dont know why the owners imported the vision of a completely different industry onto Food.

    As always the magazines reviewing these outlets always say something positive having just had ONE dish and judging all meals in that one way.

    Lets not forget their paid to say good things; if not paid then the samples are most certainly free.

    Thanks for pointing out this atrocity.

    I'm going to click on some random ads now.

    -Babar Javed

    ReplyDelete