Thursday, August 19, 2010

PTCL Strike - MAXCOM Sellout - Problems Galore!!

It was by chance that I discovered that one of the largest service providers (because it has a monopoly) had actually decided to go on strike leaving all it's customers (basically all of Pakistan) in limbo. It all started when my telephone line went dead killing my internet connection with MAXCOM. When I tried to call MAXCOM to lodge a complaint, it was quite swiftly done so and similarly PTCL complaint numbers also attended my call quite efficiently. It was the next day that revelations of the strike appeared.
The next day when I discovered that no progress had been made in regards to repairing my internet or telephone line, I began calling PTCL and MAXCOM complaint numbers again only to find that both numbers had a recording which stated "All representatives are busy at the moment...". After waiting for over 15 minutes hoping that the representatives can attend my call, I gave up and called one of the MAXCOM technical employee directly. When I asked him about the delay in complaint handling, he narrated the following:

PTCL took over MAXCOM approx a month and half ago and recently PTCL announced that they will be going on strike due to insufficient salary increase. They had come over to MAXCOM's office and forced them to also shut down the office. Hence, all complaints will only be handled after they reopen.

What is surprising is how this has not been highlighted in the news, nor has our justice bench been able to intervene to amend this critical issue pertaining to the only service provider of telephone service. It seems wrong that the complaint numbers are playing recordings that deceive the customer into thinking that all representatives are busy when actually they are not busy attending customer complaints but rather attending rally's and sit-ins.
I am afraid that the good service provided by MAXCOM will now suffer and sadly one of the best DSL internet providers will begin to lose customers just because of an association with PTCL. I myself have begun to look around for alternatives because at the end of the day, us customers demand service.

I wonder, would PTCL or MAXCOM wait for an extended period of time before I pay my bills?? After all, I was on strike and did not get paid this month......so would they be as forgiving as they expect their customers to be??

References:

PTCL Workers Website
PTCL Strike - Interview Video

1 comment:

  1. Love the last para!
    PS. We applied for a PTCL Landline a month back and got the bill for the month without the line being placed. Dad called their helpline and instead the lady said it was not possible that we didn't have the line since they had been notified that the line is operational. My dad was like, you can come and check, if i have the line, please give me the number too..and then she began convincing him to apply for Broadband and my dad got furious. I mean Hello, if we wanted a BROADBAND conenction, we would have ticked the broadband option but we wanted just a landline but SIGH!!! Still waiting!

    ReplyDelete